Monday, February 23, 2009

A pile of pennys ...

when I got to the platform this afternoon I parked, took off my helmet, and tied a loose shoelace. As I stood up, I noticed a pile of pennys sitting on the base of a lamp post about waist high 5 feet away. I thought for a while and decided to take one. They were probably put there by someone just trying to get them out of his slouching jeans. But I decided to see a kind stranger piling pennys at every rail stop. Like the guy who brings cognac to Edgar Allen Poe each year in that small Baltimore graveyard that eveyome points out as you head home from an O's game. So back to the pennys. I need a fresh start, monitarially speaking, so one lucky penny would be a good start. No need to me greedy just a little something to jump start my future.

I went back to waiting and about 2 minutes later noticed a penny at my feet. Again the image of a smart aleck street urchin passed my mind. But that too was replaced with something more .. profound. The pennys were congratulating me on my kindness and insight into what the pennys really mean. But there was a third, a fourth, and yes a fifth OTHER penny splayed on the ground. These belong to me, I thought and scooped each one from the semi-wet platform. But once in my hand I knew that was wrong. Ah ha the pennys are testing my moral fiber. So I carefully took them to their brethre/sisteren and stacked them proudly along side as if to say, "I was here and I know you, weary VTA rider, might need a penny too".

If you need one take one (but only one) if you've got one give one (but as many more than one as you can spare.)

iPhone says, "I Fought the Law" the Green Day version of the Clash version of the Eddie Cochran classic.

"Robbing people with a ... six-gun. I fought the law and the law won."

No comments:

Post a Comment